The cause in over 90% of male hair loss cases is known and recognised as hair loss at the front, top and/or the crown or vertex of the male scalp. This area is susceptible to hair loss and is a the non-permanent area. However, the back and sides of the scalp, where hair usually grows for life, is known as the ‘permanent’ area and as such this is used to harvest hairs and re-distribute into the thinning areas. This is referred to as to 'donor area'.
Male pattern hair loss is brought on by the presence of Dihydro-testosterone thus causing hair to thin over time and fall, whereas is the so-called permanent area this does not occur. The number and location of these susceptible hairs is determined by inherited genetics from one or both parents.
Hair is lost because of a change in the lifecycle of the hair root caused by DHT. In simple terms, this cycle consists of a growing phase and a resting phase. Before hair loss sets in, the growing phase lasts up to seven years and the resting phase lasts three to four months. Genetic hair loss is a result of the life cycle phases going into reverse i.e. the growing phase becomes shorter and shorter and the resting phase longer. Eventually, the hair grows very little or not at all.
Causes Of Hair Thinning - Reason Why You Could Be Losing Your Hair
Hair thinning and hair loss can have many causes, including:
• Genetics: Male pattern baldness and female pattern hair loss are the most common forms of genetic hair loss, caused by a combination of genetics and hormones.
• Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes, such as those that occur during pregnancy or menopause, can cause hair to thin or fall out.
• Medications: Certain medications, such as those used to treat cancer or autoimmune disorders, can cause hair loss as a side effect.
• Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as thyroid disorders or iron-deficiency anemia, can cause hair loss.
• Stress: Physical or emotional stress can cause hair to fall out, a condition known as telogen effluvium.
• Poor nutrition: A diet lacking in essential nutrients can lead to hair loss.
• Styling damage: Overuse of hairstyling tools and products, such as hot rollers and hair dye, can damage hair and lead to hair loss.
• Environmental factors: Exposure to pollutants and toxins, as well as severe weather conditions, can cause hair loss.
A hair transplant surgery is a surgical procedure that involves removing hair from one area of the scalp and transplanting it to another area. This procedure can be an effective solution for those experiencing hair loss caused by genetics, hormonal changes, medical conditions, and other factors.
It is important to have a free hair loss consultation with Elite Hair Restoration to understand the causes of hair loss, and to determine if hair transplant surgery is the appropriate course of treatment.